Re: [Hampshire] Talks for next meeting

Author: Andy Random
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Talks for next meeting

On Thu, 1 Mar 2007, Adrian Bridgett wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 1, 2007 at 22:58:05 +0000 (+0000), john lewis wrote:
> > I did wonder if anyone would be interested in a demo
> > of GeneWeb but I guess it would be of interest to very few.
>
> Well that's one of the beauties of lightning talks. Personally I'd be
> interested in seeing what you've done with it and whilst I wouldn't
> want to see a 30mins demo, a 5-10 min one would be quite interesting -

I'd be happy to listen to a 5 minute talk on GeneWeb as well.

> I'm sure there are people who could do a 5-10mins talk/demo - we will
> stop then if they run past 15mins :-) Just pick an application which
> you like or use and think that others might like.

I have thought about what apps I use on a daily basis, but I'm not sure
how well received a talk on Pine would be :), I've already done a talk on
screen and nano seems a bit too simplistic for even a 5 minute talk...

> We have a few volunteers (thanks Ian and Tony):
>
> Ian Brazier - "Beginners guide to using midnight commander"

Well if you want a battle of the console based file managers I'll talk on
"ytree" for (possibly less than) 5 minutes (though I'm an occasional user
rather than an expert on it)

> Tony Whitmore - "FOSDEM 2007"
>     (Free and Open Source Developers European Meeting)

It'll take more than 10 minutes just to list the different beers they
sampled...

:)

> - PHP

Everything and I mean *everything* I know about PHP could be said in a 10
minute talk so I don't think I'm the man for that one.

> - developments in virtualisation

I'd certainly be interested in listening to that.

Other things I use and could talk on for *five minutes* (but again don't
claim to be an expert on) are rsync, lynx, wget and curl but I've no idea
how much interest there would be in any of those and I'd like some warning
if they are wanted rather than just turning up on the day and being asked
to talk on them.

Andy