Re: [Hampshire] Nvidia driver for GeForce4 420 Go laptop

Author: Philip Stubbs
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Nvidia driver for GeForce4 420 Go laptop
* Philip Stubbs (philip@???) wrote:
> Back to my problem. I am guessing that the Nvidia driver is trying
> to be nice to the hardware and falling back to a safe setting. What
> I need to do is tell it who is boss, and get it to run at the
> resolution that I want (1024x768).

Yay! I have fixed it. By starting X with extra logging turned on, it
became apparent that the Nvidia driver was deciding that the maximum
screen size was 9XXx768 (I can't remember the exact size) from the
EDID data. I tried telling it to ignore EDID, but that resulted in a
messed up screen.

I searched for the bit in the log file from above, and found this
thread:-

In short, I had to download a program called phoenix in WinXP, and
export the EDID from the windows registry. Then I can add an option
to xorg.conf to use that instead of the actual EDID from the
monitor.

Phew! That is much harder than it should be. Maybe if Nvidia open
sourced its drivers, this would have been fixed by now.

On the upside, compiz is now working :-)

--
Philip Stubbs
http://www.stuphi.co.uk