Re: [Hampshire] Switching to Kubuntu

Author: Alasdair Ross
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Switching to Kubuntu
Hi,
I've recently installed Kubuntu and have been really happy with it. I've
found the guide here:
http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu_Edgy
to be an enormous help getting started. Although it's written for Ubuntu
there are very few differences that I've found (simply replace "Synaptic"
with "Adept" for the package manager).
Personally I'd recommend taking your PC to your friend's place for the
afternoon to get everything set up. This will save you a lot of time and,
as previously mentioned, you won't need to think about missed dependencies.
Regarding MP3 support, I've found Automatix2 works great. It will add the
extra repositories and install MP3/DVD support, commercial Nvidia drivers,
Skype, Java and many other packages.

If you're running on a fairly new PC and wish to try Beryl there are some
automated scripts to do the work for you:
http://wiki.beryl-project.org/wiki/Install_Beryl_on_Ubuntu_Edgy_with_XGL_and_ATI
http://wiki.beryl-project.org/wiki/Install_Beryl_on_Ubuntu_Edgy_with_nVidia
I've found it works well with Kubuntu (and the theme seems to match the
KDE look/feel well) although there are sometimes a few niggles.

Good luck and let us know how you get on!
-Alasdair-

P.S. Thanks for posting this. Finally, something I can help with!