Re: [Hampshire] Tories want open source Whitehall

Top Page
Author: Adam Trickett
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Tories want open source Whitehall

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x5674d100.hantslug.org.uk.24946': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Thu Mar 8 21:23:58 2007 GMT
gpg: using DSA key 019AD0D8166C4BF0
On Thursday 08 March 2007 21:13, Andy Random wrote:
> The government could save more than 600 million a year if it used more
> open source software, the shadow chancellor has estimated.
>
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/6430069.stm
>
> In a speech on Thursday, Mr Osborne said that despite a government report
> in 2004 saying there would be "significant savings" in hardware and
> software if open source software was used, many government departments had
> not implemented it.

I spotted that and was quite surprised. I expected the Tories to be more in
favour of handing more money over to already super rich monopolies.

I suppose it's easy to say something like this when you are in opposition but
even so it's a speech in the right direction.

--
Adam Trickett
Overton, HANTS, UK

Windows has detected: "unknown device", and is installing drivers for it.
    -- Microsoft Windows