Re: [Hampshire] Best way to install Feisty ?

Top Page
Author: Alan Pope
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Best way to install Feisty ?

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x56c3d100.hantslug.org.uk.18219': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Fri Mar 9 20:09:10 2007 GMT
gpg: using DSA key 1E38DD6257A4363C
On Fri, 2007-03-09 at 19:34 +0000, alan c wrote:
> Feisty is available as a live CD as a beta release I think. Since you
> pose the question, I conclude you are not yet deeply into ubuntu
> linux? Feisty is not yet intended for general distribution. It -will-
> give problems.

Pfft. I have had pretty much no problems with Feisty, and I've been
running it for some time now on my production desktop and two laptops,
as well as two virtual machines.

There was a problem the other day with some manky x11-common package but
someone of Mr Ransoms capabilities would have swiftly taken a sawn-off
shotgun (or perhaps sniper rifle) to the offending package and dealt it
righteous justice no doubt.

> I think upgrades are one version at a time

They are, best thing to do here is point to the documentation I
suspect:-

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EdgyUpgrades
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/FeistyUpgrades

> - note I would personally
> avoid the upgrade process, however inviting. It is much more
> predictable to do a clean install. In my opinion anyway. I like a
> simple life!

Personally, I fail to see how a reinstall is easier than an upgrade. The
vast majority of the time they work. The only time I have seen problems
with upgrades has been after the installation of dodgy drivers from
nvidia.com or the use of tools like automatix.

sudo "update-manager -c" (to go to edgy today from dapper)
sudo "update-manager -d" (to go to feisty today from edgy)

sudo "update-manager -c" (to go to feisty from edgy once it is
released).

YMMV

Cheers,
Al.