Re: [Hampshire] Results of du -hs :-(

Top Page
Author: Hugo Mills
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Results of du -hs :-(

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x56a40100.hantslug.org.uk.21521': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Sun Mar 11 01:55:34 2007 GMT
gpg: using DSA key B2C27BC21C335860
On Sat, Mar 10, 2007 at 10:17:05PM +0000, hantslug@??? wrote:
> [lisi@Tux:~]$ du -hs /home
> 39G     /home

/home uses 39 GiB of disk space (that the user lisi can see)

> [lisi@Tux:~]$ du -hs /home/lisi
> 39G     /home/lisi
> [snip]

All of which is owned by user lisi

> [lisi@Tux:~]$ su
> Password:
> [root@Tux:/home/lisi]# du -hs /
> [snip]
> 79G     /

You have 79 GiB of space used descended from / -- including things
like /proc and /sys

> [root@Tux:/home/lisi]#
>
> I have an 80Gb HDD. Konqueror reports 5.9 KB for /home, but 15.8 GB for the
> largest folder in it. Is it

The direct contents of /home is usually nothing but a few
directories (on a home system). These are likely to be only a few
kilobytes -- as Konqueror is reporting. Each directory may contain
many gigabytes of files, but the directories themselves (i.e. the
lists of contents) are generally very small. It is this latter figure
that Konqueror is reporting.

> a) worry time
> or
> b) panic time

Neither. Your disk appears to be relatively full (see the output of
df -h for how much space you've actually got free on the various
devices), but I see nothing particularly unusual here.

> And what realistically could I do about it?

Delete some space to make room on the disk? :)

Hugo.

  PGP key: 1C335860 from wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net or http://www.carfax.org.uk
          --- Is a diversity twice as good as a university? ---