Re: [Hampshire] another Distro to try - SIDUX

Author: john lewis
To: hampshire
CC: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] another Distro to try - SIDUX
On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 08:21:27 +0000
Alan Pope <alan@???> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 12, 2007 at 08:19:21AM +0000, john lewis wrote:
> > On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 09:10:00 +0000
> > Tony Whitmore <tony@???> wrote:

> > > Wow, what an original idea. ;)
> >
> > it _was_ a subtle ;-) dig at another distro that I don't care to
> > mention

<snipped>

;-)

> There, I said it for you John.

this Sidux link to their manual might be of interest to anyone trying
out Linux for the first time.

One thing does puzzle me and that is their instruction:-

NEVER EVER do a dist-upgrade nor upgrade whilst in X. Always check
Current Warnings on the sidux main web site. These warnings are there
for a reason and because of the nature of Debian sid/unstable which
is updated on a daily basis. Log out of KDE. Go to Textmode by doing
Ctrl+Alt+F1 ; logon as root, and then type init 3 ; apt-get update ;
apt-get dist-upgrade ;run fix-fonts ; run install-binary-gfx script
if xorg updated and you have such a graphics adapter otherwise do ;
init 5 && exit [NEVER DIST-UPGRADE [or UPGRADE] with adept, aptitude
or synaptic ] There is one exception!! du-fixes-h2

I have almost always done upgrades to Sid from an xterm (using command
line aptitude) and those distros with upgrade widgets will also do it
from within X, so why do the sidux people say don't do it?

--
John Lewis
Debian Linux with Geneweb genealogy application