Re: [Hampshire] MySQL 5.0 from Unstable Repository on Debian…

Top Page
Author: Hugo Mills
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] MySQL 5.0 from Unstable Repository on Debian 3.1

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x56783100.hantslug.org.uk.18052': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Mon Mar 12 14:49:27 2007 GMT
gpg: using DSA key B2C27BC21C335860
On Mon, Mar 12, 2007 at 02:11:04PM +0000, Imran Chaudhry wrote:
> Can someone, perhaps a sysadmin-ninja type guy, please tell me any
> negative implications from installing the MySQL 5.0 package from
> Debian Unstable on Debian 3.1 (current Stable release)?
>
> The reason I ask is because I simulated an install and the following
> lines concerned me a bit:
>
> The following packages will be REMOVED:
> initrd-tools* kernel-image-2.6.8-3-k7* linux-image-2.6.12-1-686*
>
> The Debian server will be used to host a publicly accessable LAMPerl
> stack web application.

The major problem is going to be differing versions of the
prerequisite libraries -- primarily of libc6. I haven't checked, but
it's a very good bet that the libc6 from stable is older than (and
incompatible with) the libc6 in unstable. Thus, to get a working
MySQL, you'd have to install the libc6 from unstable as well, which
would then mean upgrading most packages to the versions from unstable,
too.

Your best bet (and my recommendation) is to look on backports.org
for a version of MySQL 5 that's been backported to the library
versions on stable.

Hugo.

  PGP key: 1C335860 from wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net or http://www.carfax.org.uk
                 --- emacs: Eats Memory and Crashes. ---