Re: [Hampshire] Remove or not.

Top Page
Author: Hugo Mills
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Remove or not.

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x582df100.hantslug.org.uk.15816': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Wed Mar 21 20:02:53 2007 GMT
gpg: using DSA key B2C27BC21C335860
On Wed, Mar 21, 2007 at 02:30:58PM -0500, Mike Burrows wrote:
> >    To be honest, if you're still running a 2.4 kernel, you really
> > should upgrade to a 2.6 kernel. 2.4 is pretty antiquated by now.

> >    Oh, and what was it you  were doing to get this improper suggestion
> > from your package manager?

> >    Hugo.

> Wasn't sure if you wanted this lot but anyway there seems to be a bunch
> of them. (sorry cant get evolution to wrap properly atm).
>
> To be honest, I can't remember what I was doing that brought on this
> crisis. It was some time back now. It only happens if I try and
> --configure manually as it were. I can still install new packages using
> apt, dselect (the same thing I suppose) or dpkg.

No, dselect is not the same thing as apt (either apt-get or
aptitude). It's deprecated, and has been for about 7 or 8 years.
Please forget about dselect, and use aptitude or synaptic.

> perhaps I should just go ahead and upgrade to 2.6. However, I'm rather
> worried about that as this box is now my file server. I could backup to
> another machine though I suppose.

OK. Something's been screwed up, and it wants to remove your only
kernel. Note the single line with ri at the beginning. This means that
the package is installed (the i) and is scheduled for removal (the r).
No other kernel packages are installed.

Simple solution: use aptitude or synaptic to install a suitable
kernel package.

Hugo.

  PGP key: 1C335860 from wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net or http://www.carfax.org.uk
   --- "How deep will this sub go?" "Oh,  she'll go all the way to ---
                    the bottom if we don't stop her."