Re: [Hampshire] another sound question

Author: Mike Burrows
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] another sound question

> > How do I get everything to use the pci card please?
>
> Disable the on-board card in the BIOS.
>
> Tony

Didn't work I'm afraid. Got this informational message on starting kde:

Sound server informational message:
Error while initializing the sound driver:
device: default can't be opened for playback (No such file or directory)
The sound server will continue, using the null output device.

and of course real player has gone silent. I guess there isn't a module
for this card in the 2.6 kernel. Though I can't understand why it isn't
working because the system seems to have all the right modules
installed. I suppose it isn't surprising that the cd drive is working
as that is hard wired to the card.

The card is referred to in the Creative drivers web site but it isn't a
new card and I would think the kernel should support it.

Not sure where to go next.

Mike