Re: [Hampshire] Linux NAS

Author: Simon Reap
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Linux NAS
On 28/03/07 10:35, Cayenne-uk said the following:
> I haven't seen any discussion here about this gizmo, but I expect this
> thing is already known about here. I came across it when looking for
> Hard Disks and enclosures, and it looks like a fantastic little
> device. It runs Linux, and has been configured as a USB HD server, but
> the comments say it can be reflashed and can handle web serving,
> printer serving etc. It is now on my shopping list...
>
> Kelvin

I've had one of these LinkSys NSLU2 devices (a "slug") for a while, just
acting as a disk and print server. I "unslung" it (replacing the
Linksys firmware with an Open Source direct replacement) it almost as
soon as I got it - see http://www.nslu2-linux.org/ for details
(including how to install debian on it). At first I ran it with a 1GB
flash drive as its only storage (completely silent operation!), but then
added a 250GB USB disk as backup storage. Never had any problems with it.

Simon