Re: [Hampshire] WiFi Channel scanning

Author: Gordon Scott
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] WiFi Channel scanning
On Wed, 28 Mar 2007, Cayenne-uk wrote:

> One possibility I considered is interference from the
> host of other routers which have invaded in recent months.

There are things besides other electronics that can cause problems at
the frequencies that WiFi uses. Certainly any metal boxes nearby can
cause reflections and coverage problems. Even peple walking by can
affect them a bit. Try to make sure the WiFi router has a decent `view'
of the area ou want to cover.

The multiple aerial `diversity' routers have the best chance of reliable
coverage. I'm not sure off-hand if your's is one of those. I think thay
all have at least two aerials for diversity.

Hm, diversity means having nultiple radio paths available and choosing
the path(s) that at this moment are giving the best signal .. a bit
like mobile radio cells handing over but on a very local scale.

G.
--
Gordon Scott                  http://www.gscott.co.uk

        Linux ... Because I like to *get* there today.