Re: [Hampshire] GUI editor as root in Etch running KDE

Author: Alan Pope
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] GUI editor as root in Etch running KDE
On Thu, Mar 29, 2007 at 03:41:10PM +0100, Alex wrote:
> >Install sudo? Then you can do sudo kate or whatever the kde editor is.
>
> Isn't there a KDE equivalent for gksudo. Apparently this is the safest and
> preferred way to execute GUI apps as root in GNOME, so there might be a KDE
> option too.

There is no difference between gksudo and sudo, one just happens to run on
the command line (sudo) and the other is a gui app (gksudo). This is to
enable you to have menu items (such as System --> Administration --> *)
which require root level privs, but without popping up a terminal to enter
your password.

I believe there is a KDE equiv, yes, but I dont run KDE so don't know what
it is.

Cheers,
Al.