[Hampshire] Apache2 configuration

Author: john lewis
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] Apache2 configuration
I am have problems getting apache to display a web page
with "URL /exodus not found" error.

I had previously been able to display the default "It works!" page
from /var/www indicating apache2 was actually working

I had edited /etc/apache2/sites-available/default so it reads

DocumentRoot /home/jayell/public_html/exodus

<Directory /home/jayell/public_html/exodus>

but left everything else alone.

I'd first played about with editing httpd.conf but then found a
mention on-line that Debian Apache2 doesn't really use httpd.conf
file but apache2.conf instead.

It doesn't look as though I need to edit anything in apache2.conf.

The "DocuumentRoot" contains various *.php files including index.php

I restarted apache2 after editing the /sites available/default file.

What have I missed?

--
John Lewis
Debian Linux with Geneweb genealogy application