Re: [Hampshire] Samba Shambles

Author: rob
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Samba Shambles
Tim wrote:
> Hi Rob
>
> I have made progress, my users can now access the shares again, it requests a
> user name & password which is what I wanted, they can read and copy from the
> share but they can not write to the share, is this what you meant when you
> said they were set a bit aggressive?? how\what do I change to allow the users
> to be able to write to the shares??
>
> regards
> Tim

Yep just a suggestion if they can read the files, but not create or delete
It could be that the directory is not allowing your users to create or
edit anything within
do an ls -l and it should show permissions for the shared directory

it may be just a case of using chmod to change permissions on the
"shared directories"
if its only a pen drive and its open for full access for all,
chmod 777 the shared directory
(read write and execute by all)

you may also want to use the create mask bit in the smb.conf for the
shared pen drive's files subsequently created so that user "A" can also
delete/edit user "B's" files etc

kind of annoying if your partner keeps filling the drive with crappy
music that really belongs in her home dir so you don't have to witness
it and you want to clear some space without having to log out and back
in as her ;-)

Regards
Rob