Re: [Hampshire] enabling ssh access to a freshly installed D…

Top Page
Author: Dr Adam J Trickett
To: Alan Pope, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
CC:
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] enabling ssh access to a freshly installed Debian Etch server

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x577b7100.hantslug.org.uk.16013': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Tue Apr 24 12:02:56 2007 BST
gpg: using DSA key 019AD0D8166C4BF0
On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 at 11:44:57AM +0100, Alan Pope wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 24, 2007 at 11:35:03AM +0100, Dr Adam J Trickett wrote:
> >
> > SSH isn't installed by default on Debian.
> >

> I did an install of sarge yesterday and it asked me during the install if i
> wanted to enable ssh. I just chose "yes" instead of "no" and it worked :)

I've been caught out with this many times. I think it depends what your
install medium is and what options you select (sever, desktop, nothing etc).

I usually install from a netinstall, and at then end of the base install
selection nothing - doing everything else by hand, in that case I don't
think it intstalls SSH for you. I normally have to install sudo, screen,
tree and ssh before I do anything else.

--
Adam Trickett
Overton, HANTS, UK

I guess that, if you're in Microsoft's shoes, it makes sense. If you
can't write software or protocols that can stably walk and chew gum,
program in a limit that prevents the user from telling it to do so.
-- Jonathan Patschke, on limitations in Active Directory