Re: [Hampshire] ADSL Charges

Author: Alan Pope
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] ADSL Charges
On Tue, May 01, 2007 at 10:09:22PM +0100, Vic wrote:
> > I just got notification that after 1st June I will have to pay my ADSL
> > Supplier £33.00 to get a MAC code to move to another ADSL Supplier.
>
> You might want to talk to Ofcom...
>
> In short, your ISP is operating outside Ofcom's Code of Practice. I should
> slap them, IIWY...

For all the good that it will do.

The ISP a friend of mine uses was bought out recently and then proceeded to
cancel all their customers DSL connections. They refused to answer calls
from customers, telling them to go talk to the parent company. The parent
company _refused_ to give out MAC codes.

They said that the ofcom guidelines were exactly that _guidelines_ and they
are under no obligation to observe them. The only option was to stop paying
and let the DSL connection expire naturally. This meant some period of
downtime at home.

Cheers,
Al.