Re: [Hampshire] Configuring a netcard in Etch after install

Top Page
Author: Andy Smith
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Configuring a netcard in Etch after install

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x5738c100.hantslug.org.uk.13870': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Wed May 2 18:04:37 2007 BST
gpg: using DSA key 2099B64CBF15490B
On Wed, May 02, 2007 at 04:27:43PM +0100, Tim B - Systems wrote:
> I have just done a similar thing on a server (one goes to the main network,
> one to a backup machine).
>
> Use "ifconfig" , "ifup" and "ifdown" to control the network cards.

Specifically on Debain yes you could do "ifup eth1" after correctly
defining eth1 in /etc/network/interfaces, without needing to do the
restart of networking (not that that should hurt).

> Most distros also have graphical tools for controlling the
> network, some of which are quite good.

Graphical tools, for managing a server? ;)

Cheers,
Andy