Re: [Hampshire] [Hardware] random system freezes

Author: Dr Adam J Trickett
To: Luke Stutters
CC: Hants LUG
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [Hardware] random system freezes
On Thu, 03 May 2007 at 01:49:52AM +0100, Luke Stutters wrote:

> >Is it possible that a duff Maxtor IDE drive could be the root of all his
> >problems? On another day when it's not getting late we plan to remove the
> >80Gb drive and see if it's stable.
>
> Ignoring bus and cable issues, if the HD was doing something funny to
> the 5/12V supply and the motherboard couldn't compensate, it could throw
> the machine off. It might be interesting to hook a multimeter up to it
> and see what it was drawing.

I think our plan "A" is to take the drive out, and see if the system will
work without it. If that's okay, we'll try putting the drive in an external
enclosure and access it via USB - which should isolate it from the main
drives IDE bus and the internal powersupply.

--
Adam Trickett
Overton, HANTS, UK

Capitalism is the extraordinary belief that the nastiest of men, for
the nastiest of reasons, will somehow work for the benefit of us all.
    -- John Maynard Keynes