Re: [Hampshire] Multimedia on Linux

Author: Tony Smith
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Multimedia on Linux
> > > Can anyone give me advice on how to get radio 3, CDs, DVDs etc. playing
> > > in Etch?
> >
> > Have you tried PCLinuxOS? http://www.pclinuxos.com/
>
> Yes. It was one of the earliest I tried. It didn't work OOTB and it has

very
> small repositories.

When did you try it? A new version (2007-TR4) has come out _very_ recently but
even TR3 seemed OK for what I was using it for.

All the mainstream stuff seemed to be in the default repositories. It did seem
short on multi-monitor/wireshark/kdevelop type stuff but then again its aimed
at the 90% of home users who just surf the web etc.

> > I have all the multimedia stuff working on Kubuntu 7.07 but had to install
> > the extras manually
>
> This is probably part of the problem. I have not used my own box as a
> multimedia centre, so don't really know what to install. If something
> complains that it can't find something I install whatever it is that it

can't
> find. But when I once got BBC playing it was appallingly jerky (as it was
> under PCLinuxOS :-( ) and I couldn't sort it out. This has been going on
> for weeks, and he is getting very fed-up. :-((
>
> I couldn't trouble you for a list of the extras, could I?

I just followed the helpfull instructions at

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats

--
Tony Smith
Software Development Engineer

This e-mail is confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of TSEU Group Ltd / Microsense Systems Limited / Traffic Signals UK Limited. If you are not the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this e-mail in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this e-mail (and any attachments) is strictly prohibited.
This e-mail has been scanned for all viruses by Star Internet.