Re: [Hampshire] Essential info with questions - Was Local we…

Author: Tim
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Essential info with questions - Was Local webserver problem
On Tue May 8 2007 15:14, Damian Brasher wrote:
> Tim Wrote:
> > I can't seem to open any of my web site locally on my apache web server,
> > in
> > the past I have entered into my broswer "192.168.**.**\websitename" and
> > the
> > web site has appeared locally with out a problem. If I put the web server
> > IP
> > address in I get the apacheweb server "Its works!" message.
> >
> > I have tried viewing the web pages from the web server but that failed
> > also.
> > The webserver is only local and does not serve the outside world
> >
> > Any suggestion??
>
> For the list and lurkers like me, I generally try to answer questions
> diagnosing from the bottom up so it is always useful to have as much info
> as possible, like Linux distro and any background information and any
> special configuration changes you have made to the service. In this case
> installing another package that has an HTTP servlet can do damage without
> you realizing to port 80 services. It is good then for the outside world
> when they view Hants LUG questions. Not a moan just a hint observation
> guide thingy.
>
> Damian B
>
> --
> Damian Brasher
> www.interlinux.co.uk
> All mail scanned by clam-av http://www.clamav.net/

Hi Damian

I must admit, not adding my distro was a slip by me, I normally add as much
info as possible when I have a problem. For the record the distro is etch. As
I mentioned I have not installed\changed anything on the server for for
several months (I think the last time I did anything was a months or so
before etch became stable as I changed my repos from testing to etch).

As for the configuration it is out the box and has worked that way from the
day I set it up. I don't know what casued this morning first problem, it
refused to dispaly any of my web site locally (there are only 3), then after
writing the email to the lug I fiddled with it again and it just started
working. I think the second part of the problem was probably due to me, I
have been working on a new web site all weekend and started with a simple
folder in my home folders which has grown in to a big mess as I tested new
layouts etc etc. Moving a small set of files onto the web server was the
start of my clean up, (I wanted to put them on the server to act as a backup
just incase I deleted the wrong files).

Everything seems to be working now.

Tim

Inbox.com is giving away free iPODs, movie tickets and gigabytes!
Learn more about this contest on http://www.inbox.com/contest