Re: [Hampshire] Result of the Ubuntu Challenge

Top Page
Author: Andy Smith
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Result of the Ubuntu Challenge

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x572c4100.hantslug.org.uk.22521': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Sun May 13 12:49:09 2007 BST
gpg: using DSA key 2099B64CBF15490B
Hi Alan,

On Sun, May 13, 2007 at 01:38:56PM +0200, Alan Pope wrote:
> http://wiki.ubuntu.com/RootSudo - A url I have embedded in my brain that
> gets rattled off whenever anyone moans about not having root. It details
> quite clearly how to change that standard behaviour. This is not an
> issue in my book.

After what happened with the chap who buggered sudo by recursively
making /var world readable though, I would suggest that Ubuntu
should consider telling people to set a root password and keep it
safe, plus allow root logins. Otherwise you can't recover from that
without rebooting, as the hapless admin discovered.

Cheers,
Andy