Re: [Hampshire] June's meeting

Author: Philip Stubbs
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] June's meeting
* john lewis (johnlewis@???) wrote:
> trying to load exodus with http://localhost/exodus I get
>
> Warning: pg_connect() [function.pg-connect]: Unable to connect to
> PostgreSQL server: fe_sendauth: no password supplied
> in /var/www/exodus/settings/settings.php on line 34
>
> Warning: pg_last_error() [function.pg-last-error]: No PostgreSQL link
> opened yet in /var/www/exodus/settings/settings.php on line 35 Could
> not connect:
>
> I deliberately set up the exodus database in postgresql without a
> password. The relevant lines in settings.php are
>
> //db parameters
>     $host = "localhost";
>     $dbname = "exodus";
>     $username = "jayell";
> // *    $password = " ";

>     $db = pg_connect("host=$host dbname=$dbname user=$username")
>         or die('Could not connect: ' . pg_last_error());
>     pg_set_client_encoding($db, LATIN1);

> Some of the details were modified by me but the $db_connect lines
> are as supplied in the exodus package and presumably work for the
> author.

Hi John,

I would try and add a password. Use the Postgress admin tools to add
a password to the database, then un-comment the $password line above
and add the option to the pg_connect statement above
"password=$password"

I am not sure, but I have a feeling that some packages that use
passwords can be configured to force their use. Having no password
on a database would be a security risk, so the database program may
be configured to require them.

Regards,
--
Philip Stubbs