Re: [Hampshire] Strange Debian Shutdown problem with Pentium…

Author: Tim B - Systems
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Strange Debian Shutdown problem with Pentium 641
On Thursday 31 May 2007 23:09, Tim B - Systems wrote:

> The problem I'm having is that when I try to logout of (or shutdown) either
> GNOME or KDE the system hangs, and a power-off is needed. A re-boot of the
> system shows no noticeable ill-effects.

> I have also tried a variety of other distros and they all seem to have the
> same problem.

I have now solved this problem. Many thanks to Adrian Bridgett for directing
me towards graphics drivers. The card (and drivers) in question were an ATI
Radeon 9550 with stock Debian 4 drivers. These drivers need to be replaced
with proprietry ATI drivers. The following process solved the problem for me:

Download the proprietry drivers from
http://ati.amd.com/support/drivers/linux64/linux64-radeon.html

now run: ati-driver-installer-8.37.6-x86.x86_64.run --listpkg
then: ati-driver-installer-8.37.6-x86.x86_64.run --buildpkg Debian/etch

once you have the packages install them with dpkg -i *.deb (assuming they are
the only things in the directory.

then run: aticonfig --initial --input=/etc/X11/Xorg.conf

Then re-boot. That should solve the problem.

Tim B.

--
Tim Brocklehurst Marine Design