Re: [Hampshire] Re: FreeView box suggestions

Author: Bob Dunlop
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Re: FreeView box suggestions
Hi again,

On Sat, Jun 09 at 02:43, m.nuttall@??? wrote:

> > Our Sony DVB-T has a digital audio out (which was a little uncommon at the
> > time and one of the reasons we brought it). Fed direct into a digital amp
> > Radios 1-4 sound identical to FM broadcasts received directly by the AMP.
> > The analog sound output (on SCART) sounds a little tinier to me.
>
> What price was it?

99 pounds if I remember correctly, this was about 4 years ago. It's a
Sony VTX-D800U, now obsolete of course, Amazon reckon the second user
price at about 60 pounds.

> as i dont really want to buy a freeview box with a hd in it which i wont use
> (just radio into my separates).

Tescos had a range of simple boxes for circa 50 quid when I walked past
earlier today. Don't know if any had audio separates though.

> Is it a optical out or elevtrical(coaxial) output?

It a combined 3.5mm electrical analogue, or optical digital socket. Go
figure which marketing bod thought that was a neat idea.

You need a small converter to go from the round socket, to the squarish
sort of plug you get on most optical leads.

Yes they do make a convertor for fitting square pegs into round holes
these days.

--
        Bob Dunlop