Re: [Hampshire] Machine lock up and disk thrashing

Author: Philip Stubbs
To: lug, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
CC:
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Machine lock up and disk thrashing
* Vic (lug@???) wrote:
> > After it has been used for a little while, I will try and do
> > something, like watch a different channel or recording, and the
> > machine grinds to an almost halt, with the hard disk thrashing away.
>
> Mine's done something similar in the past. (although it's still been
> usable - if amazingly slow).
>
> Check to see if you have any swap left. If the swap fills up, it has real
> trouble even swapping processes in/out...

Yay! Hantslug to the rescue again! Using some of the other
suggestions I managed to confirm that I only had 512Mb of RAM and
about 500Mb of swap. The process mythcommflag does a god job of
eating lots or RAM and swap. Leaving the machine to stand for a
while, starting mythfrontend takes the swap up to the limit, and the
big slow starts.

So I thought that I was going to have to juggle lots stuff around so
that I can increase the size of my swap partition. I only have one
drive here. Then I noticed that there was a 10Gb windows partition
still on the drive. I can't remember booting into windows on this
machine, so I now have a 10Gb swap partition. :-)

--
Philip Stubbs
http://www.stuphi.co.uk