Re: [Hampshire] Code comment spell checkers?

Author: Daniel Pope
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Code comment spell checkers?
Vic wrote:
> [1] And before anyone fires up with "I can't spell because I'm dyslexic" -
> so am I. If you can get the characters in the right order for a compiler,
> you can do the same for a human reader.

The worst coding fiasco I've ever experienced was when working with a dyslexic
programmer. It was for a group project at university. There were seven people in
the group. The coding was divvied up between three programmers. I got UI;
another chap got netcode; and the dyslexic chap got application code.

When we came to integrate it, we found that the application code just wasn't
there. It had function and class names (spelled perfectly), but no
implementations. And the comments were unintelligible. My favourites were
//TOODOs (to indicate what he hadn't done) and //BOTHC (to indicate what he had
attempted and botched).

When we challenged him on it he got a bit stroppy and blamed everything on his
dyslexia.

We ended up having to code all through the night to integrate everything during
the final weekend. In the end we reckoned that he had written about 10% of the
project, with Tim and I writing about 45% each.

Dan