Re: [Hampshire] mmv & wildcard expansion in bash

Author: Dr Adam J Trickett
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] mmv & wildcard expansion in bash
On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 at 02:27:14PM +0100, Peter Salisbury wrote:

> > Don't think I will put it onto my main system though as this box is
> > mostly free of anything kde or gnome related.
>
> Glad it does the job for you - I've been very impressed with the
> progress digikam's made over the past year or so. It's now pretty AND
> useful - nice combination!
>
> I gave up on trying to keep my system KDE and Gnome free a while back.
> It took a lot of packages to install all the support infrastructure
> but in the end not too much actual disk space. It certainly opens up
> the list of available applications massively.

While some people have a preference for KDE, Gnome or something else,
it's hard to imagine a desktop system of any kind that doesn't use
some Qt or GTK applications, the list of flagship apps that use one
technology or the other is just too long.

* Firefox/Thunderbird
* K3B
* Amarok
* GIMP
* Opera

With disk space cheap and plentiful, and all modern distros having
sensible package management, it's hardly much pain to run a desktop
system with most of GNOME and KDE installed.

--
Adam Trickett
Overton, HANTS, UK

While it may be faster than DLT tapes, 're-typing' is not a
valid recovery strategy.
    -- anon