[Hampshire] Native WPA support

Author: Paul Tansom
To: hampshire
Subject: [Hampshire] Native WPA support
Does anyone know of a definitive (as far as possible!) list of wireless
network cards that support WPA natively in Linux? So far of the 7 cards
I have I don't think any have native WPA support - which is a pain as I
use WPA on all my networks :(

So far I've been jumping around different sites to find the info I need
and it is proving great fun trying to match up the date the information
as accurate (if ever) to then work out whether support has improved
and/or which site has the accurate information if it differs (usually
based on chipset revisions, or card revisions where the chipset
changes).

I've just installed Ubuntu on my wife's machine and contrary to the
install process telling me there was no NIC (which there was, but I
wasn't overly surprised it didn't notice) I have found that it is
installed and recognised (all be it not working). It did take me a while
and a few reboots (to gain internet access via Windows for research
purposes) to work out that I wouldn't find Network Manager on one of the
menus, but it does have a tray icon!

--
Paul Tansom | Aptanet Ltd. | http://www.aptanet.com/
Aptanet Ltd. | Registered in England | Company No: 4905028