Re: [Hampshire] sudo

Top Page
Author: Dave Walker
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] sudo

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x570af100.hantslug.org.uk.14296': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Thu Jun 21 16:26:48 2007 BST
gpg: using DSA key 09D38B17936ADE15
On Thu, 2007-06-21 at 14:54 +0100, Chris. Aubrey-Smith wrote:
> I've always thought that having no proper root login on Ubuntu
> (Dapper) was pretty stupid, but can anyone explain this?
>
> After working quite happily at the command line all morning, I
> suddenly got:
>
> $ sudo su
> Password:
> chris is not in the sudoers file. This incident will be reported.
>
> After another attempt:
>
> $ sudo su
> Sorry, user chris may not run sudo on localhost.

Hi Chris,

Can you try:
$ groups

It should return all thee groups the current user is attached to. If it
doesn't include 'admim', then you will be unable to use 'sudo' with that
user.

Unless you have either set a password for root, or have another user
that is in the admin group, then you cannot easily add that user without
forcing a boot into 'busybox' to gain root privileges.

Kind Regards,
Dave Walker