Re: [Hampshire] sudo : solved!

Author: James Courtier-Dutton
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] sudo : solved!
On 22/06/07, hantslug@??? <hantslug@???> wrote:
> On Friday 22 Jun 2007 11:27, James Courtier-Dutton wrote:
> > On 22/06/07, Chris. Aubrey-Smith <cas194@???> wrote:
> > > usermod -a? I wasn't aware of it; none of my reference texts mention it.
> > >
> > > Chris.
> >
> > Hehe, yes, "man usermod" is pretty obscure isn't it!
>
> "man usermod" makes no mention of "usermod -a" on my system (Sarge). -a is
> simply not listed as one of the options, neither in the sysnopsis at the
> beginning nor in the more detailed list. -G, however, is.
>
> Lisi

Here on Ubuntu
       usermod [-c comment] [-d home_dir [-m ]] [-e expire_date]
               [-f inactive_days] [-g initial_group]
               [-G group1 [ ,group2,... , [groupN] [-a] ]] [-l new_login_name]
               [-p password] [-s shell] [-u uid [-o ]] [-L -U] login_name

And Gentoo
SYNOPSIS
       usermod [options] LOGIN

DESCRIPTION
       The usermod command modifies the system account files to reflect the
       changes that are specified on the command line.

OPTIONS
       The options which apply to the usermod command are:

       -a, --append
          Add the user to the supplemental group(s). Use only with -G option.

So, you might be right, it seems that the man pages are different
across Linux distros.
I think that is a bad thing.

James