Re: [Hampshire] Print sharing problem

Author: Jacqui caren
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Print sharing problem
Samuel Penn wrote:
> On Wed, June 27, 2007 00:24, Tim B (Systems) wrote:
>
>>Apologies, sent this under the wrong identity.
>>
>>I don't think that running a VPN client would prevent you seeing the local
>>network. Therefore if you share the printer via CUPS or Samba, you should
>>be
>>able to access it from all boxes. The VPN client should still allow
>>software
>>that requires it to find the printer if it is installed on the local
>>machine.
>>
>>I'm sure others have more experience of VPN than I do.

VPN technology and configuration counts.

I have OpenVPN, ssh and a cisco client. The cisco client
can be told by the server to dconnect all local networks
when connected. Ths will make your local network
dissapear.

A local printer is OK though.

> That's pretty much what I do. Laptop (MS Windows) on VPN,
> but can still talk to the local printer. I actually talk
> to the printer directly (via IP) rather than using CUPS/Samba,
> because I couldn't get that to work in the 30 seconds I
> dedicated to the task.

The only situation were I saw thishappen with open* was when
te printerwas on a local subnet (say 10.1.0.0) and the
remote VPN subnet was identical - routing onthe desktop
meant that print requests ended up upon the remote network.

Anther thing that can go wrong is the the open* client
provided anotehr interface andIP address. If your prnter is
limited to your local subnetbut the print request appears to
comefrom the wrong interface/IP you get rejected befre you even
connect to samba.

Jacqui