Re: [Hampshire] [Advert] Laptop for sale

Author: Mike Dwerryhouse
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [Advert] Laptop for sale
James Ashburner wrote:
> Mike Dwerryhouse wrote:
>> James Ashburner wrote:
>>> I have a Compaq Evo N160 up for sale:
>>>
>>> 1GHz CPU
>>> 20GB HDD
>>> 256MB RAM
>>> DVD-ROM
>>>
>>> £30 to the first person to come pick it up (Aldershot). Tested with
>>> an install of PCLinuxOS 2007. I will be happy to answer any
>>> questions about it.
>>>
>>> James
>>>

>> I have one of those, except with a CD reader instead of a DVD.
>> Slightly taken aback to think it's only worth £30.
>>
>> MikeD
>>
> I have a spare DVD-ROM here that will fit it, though I'm not
> absolutely certain it works as it's the laptop it's in is in poor shape.
>
> James

I've already tried putting a slim DVD-RW in there. It didn't entirely
work, and I'm pretty sure
it was compatibility rather than a fault. There's no BIOS setup for IDE
devices, so it's
difficult to be certain. Compaq sometimes do this - you have to buy the
approved parts for
their computers.

I'm not inclined to upgrade it now. I may get a new one one day if I see
one I fancy at a
good price. The slim DVD-RW is waiting for me to use it in a Mini-ITX
project I've been meaning
to do for a while.

MikeD