[Hampshire] Mutt IMAP caching

Author: Adrian Bridgett
To: hampshire
Subject: [Hampshire] Mutt IMAP caching
It's not often I post about a really neat feature I've seen, but this
one isn't advertised as widely as it should be.

If you use mutt (the one true email client[1]) together with IMAP,
then I strongly recommend that you either use something like
offlineimap (syncs your remote IMAP emails with local copies -
allowing completely disconnected working) or turn on imap header cache
by adding this to ~/.muttrc:

set header_cache="$HOME/.mutt_header_cache"

My server is at the end of a wifi connection (only 200KB/s 802.11b,
weak signal) and it would takes quite a few seconds to open a 5000
email maildir. Now it's almost instant. Hooray!

[1] it works [2]
[2] unlike evolution

Adrian
--