Re: [Hampshire] BFG Nvidia 8800 GTS + Ubuntu Feisty

Author: Sean Gibbins
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] BFG Nvidia 8800 GTS + Ubuntu Feisty
Stephen Pelc wrote:

> Your old Shuttle had the same problems when I put Ubuntu 64
> Feisty on it! The are probably two issues - hunt the Ubuntu
> forums for the gory details.

Hi Stephen,

The Shuttle presented a few challenges, true, but I don't think they
were the same. IIRC the ATI X800XL presented me with some nice errors I
could work with for one thing!

> 1) Edit the grub menu file to set a sensible default resolution
> by adding the phrase "VGA=xxx" where xxx is probably 762 or
> somesuch - this forces the splash screen to be displayed in a
> sensible resolution.

Okay, I'll look into that one thanks. Do you recall if it produced any
errors in the Xorg log?
> 2) The Nvidia installer has probably got something wrong in
> X11.conf - I gave up and Vic Watson fixed it for me, but it was
> something along the lines that the display name was a string
> rather than the name referred to elsewhere.

Again, this would produce an error I suspect, although I am happy to be
corrected on that.
> These issues are discussed in detail at
> http://bugs.launchpad.net

I've been searching the forums for several weeks now and have yet to see
anything exactly the same as this. I may post something to see if anyone
else has encountered it if a fresh search doesn't turn anything up.

Glad to hear you got your driver issues sorted by the way.

Cheers,

Sean