[Hampshire] Compiz Fusion

Author: Mark Johnson
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] Compiz Fusion
Hi all,
Anyone else had a badger's at Compiz Fusion (that's the new name since the
Compiz/Beryl re-merge)? I just installed it on Kubuntu Feisty, and I have
to say I'm dead impressed with how much more stable and useful it was than
last time I used it.

I got in installed in about 5 minutes using APT following this guide [1]
and just needed to run "compiz --replace" to get it running with minimum
fuss. It even starts automatically when I log in without me having to mess
about!
While it still doesnt place nice with the KDE desktop pager, the new Expo
plugin is a lovely replacement. Also, while it's been in earlier versions,
I have to say the window tabbing/grouping plugin is an excellent space
saver.

What's more I haven't had a single crash, which is far more than I can say
for earlier versions of Compiz/Beryl.

If you like eye candy and have suitable hardware/drivers, I highly
recommend it. The customary youtube video demo can be found at [2]

Enjoy,
Mark

[1] http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=481314
[2] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ImW0-MgR8I