Re: [Hampshire] GPS for walking that talks to Linux

Author: Tony Smith
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] GPS for walking that talks to Linux
On Thursday 12 July 2007 14:45:36 john lewis wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Jul 2007 14:29:25 +0100
>
> Tony Smith <tony.smith@???> wrote:
> > >    You can then specify coordinates within those squares using
> > > eastings and northings to the required accuracy: so SU424155 is
> > > the entrance to the Zepler building where we have meetings, to
> > > 100m accuracy.

No I didn't!!

Anyway, anyone who relies on one method of position location whilst on the
hills deserves to walk over a cliff. Never forget your traditional map and
compass work.

My receiver will give a 10 digit grid reference which is beyond the
theoretical accuracy of the system!

Some interesting articles on GPS failure....

http://www.newscientisttech.com/article/dn10189-solar-flares-will-disrupt-gps-in-2011.html

http://www.gpsworld.com/gpsworld/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=43404

> If anyone is out walking the hills in white-out conditions then 100m
> accuracy is just not good enough.
>
> Even 10m would give enough error to allow you to walk over a cliff if
> you could not pinpoint your location on a map precisely.
>
> --
> John Lewis
> Debian (Sid) with the GeneWeb genealogy package

This e-mail is confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of TSEU Group Ltd / Microsense Systems Limited / Traffic Signals UK Limited. If you are not the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this e-mail in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this e-mail (and any attachments) is strictly prohibited.
This e-mail has been scanned for all viruses by Star Internet.