Re: [Hampshire] Debian Slug

Author: David Bell
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Debian Slug
Sean Gibbins wrote:
> Hard to say I am afraid as mine is not being used for that purpose and I
> really wouldn't want to give you a duff steer.
>
> It is responsive with regard to cups and samba, seems fine with html,
> but pauses for thought where cgi is concerned (lighttpd + kwiki).
>
> See, not very helpful am I?

Hi Sean,

You are actually, if it copes with cups and samba it should really cope
with just routing of packets.

> There are quite a few examples here:
>
> http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Info/WhatPeopleAreReallyUsingTheirSlugsFor
>
> ... but I couldn't find any to match your requirements.

On that page it says "EddyP" in 2005 used his as a router/firewall, an
ftp server and subversion. He was using Unslung 5.5 though rather than
Debian.

Actually, right at the bottom "2007-07-15" suggests he uses his Debian
Etch-ified Slug as a router/firewall, mail, web, ssh and all sorts.

See, you have been helpful ;)

> What service are you connecting to with the Origo? I have a Dynamode
> Router here that was made redundant by an ADSL upgrade that you are
> welcome to if it is any good to you*. I wasn't made aware of any
> bandwidth issues by the 3 or 4 users that shared it while it was
> operational. It didn't like ADSL Max (it became unstable and bounced the
> connection intermittently) so I replaced it with a Zyxel. Of course, if
> you are on Max then it is probably a non-starter...

I'm afraid I just moved to ADSL Max. What a mistake that was. We had so
many problems with the line and it still is rather unstable at random
intervals.

However, thank you for your generous offer! I shall have to try the
NSLU2 and worst case I have a cool new Debian 4.0 box ;)

Cheers,

Dave