Re: [Hampshire] internet connection

Author: Sean Gibbins
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] internet connection
alan c wrote:

> May I offer what may be obvious to many readers that in general it is
> very much easier to set up (linux) using initially a wired ethernet
> connection, rather than a wireless connection, for beginners anyway.
>
> Also - depending on how it goes from Sean's excellent comments -
> Ubuntu (or Kubuntu) version 7.04 is very much better at handling
> wireless things because it has some proprietary drivers in it. (Dell
> use this one). If a re install is contemplated, a partition delete
> might be an easy way to go for a beginner, to avoid multiple distro
> installs and keeping auto-help ubuntu install easy. Ask advice here?
>
> good luck

Good point. When I replied last night I was thinking that we could get
the wired connection working and then update/upgrade, but in my tired
and confused state the fact that it would be two hops from Dapper to
Feisty went right by me! It's probably better to grab the latest release
of Ubuntu, ensure all the hardware is connected and reinstall.

The obvious consideration here before wading on in with the install CD
is the one of data that might need to be saved. Once that has been
addressed then, if Ubuntu is the distro of choice, a visit to the Ubuntu
download site is probably in order:

http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download

Most likely Terry will need the default download, Ubuntu 7.04 for
Standard personal computer. Be sure to select a 'Great Britain' mirror!

Sean