Re: XFS (was Re: [Hampshire] LVM, partitions and growing fil…

Author: Dr Adam J Trickett
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: XFS (was Re: [Hampshire] LVM, partitions and growing filesystems)
On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 at 06:23:43PM +0000, Andy Smith wrote:
> Hi Adrian,

> > > Nope. Works just fine.
> >
> > One thing to be aware of is that if it's an ext2/3 filesystem then it
> > needs to have been _created_ with resize_inode:
>
> On another topic, have you much experience of XFS?
>
> I see people saying that it much more performant and scalable than
> ext3, having some of the features that are only now being put into
> ext4, and of course the online resizing and freeze/thaw is nice.
> Any stability issues though?
>
> And is it still impossible to shrink it, even offline?

It's fair to say that Ext3 is probably not the best file system there is,
Riser and JFS both beat it in some conditions and overall XFS is better
in pretty much every way. There is a nice summary over on the Debian
Admin web site[1].

However, Ext3 is more widley deployed and better understood, which does
give it inherent advantages over the alternatives.

As far as I recall XFS can only be resized "online" and you can't shrink it.

I'm told that the XFS implementation is also a bit buggy, and that
there have been some issues in within the 2.6 kernel that don't seem to
be being addressed - but that could just be sour grapes.

[1] http://www.debian-administration.org/articles/388

--
Adam Trickett
Overton, HANTS, UK

"Norton Wipe Info uses hexadecimal values to wipe files.  This
 provides more security than wiping with decimal values."
    -- from the manual of Norton Systemworks 2002, pg 160