Re: [Hampshire] Psion 5 Power Supply

Author: alan c
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Psion 5 Power Supply
Sean Gibbins wrote:
> alan c wrote:
>> As I recall there is nothing special about these. We have two current
>> psion 5/mx's and one I think uses a maplin adjustable type psu with
>> what was a choice of end socket. If you get stuck contact me and I
>> will sort out details to help find an equivalent.
>>
>> I trust you have the psion working ok on batteries anyway?
>>
>> alan cocks
>
> Yeah, thanks Alan. I have had a few near misses in-between infrequent
> uses though.
>
> Sean
>>
>> Chris. Aubrey-Smith wrote:
>>> I think I may possibly have one of these, as I never throw away power
>>> bricks.
>>>
>>> I'll try and make it up to the loft today and will bring it along to
>>> tomorrow's session if my search is successful.
>>>
>>> Chris.

> Depends if you are as tight as me I suppose! £7.99 is the minimum bid,
> and for a used unit I think it is a bit pricey. As for £14 + VAT for a
> new one from Clove (who were in Bournemouth last time I dealt with
> them), well I am afraid my infrequent use really doesn't warrant that
> sort of expenditure.
>
> Sean

I have realised that a very convenient cusp of technology has happened
- When the psions were in vogue, CF flash ram was very expensive.
However, now it is very cheap, even for (what was) massive size, such
as 256 Mb :-)

There is a cf ram slot and it is almost trivial to copy the whole
drive across. I have not used this to restore I think, but it would
certainly keep all the files including data files.

So my strategy has changed over the years. I used to back up via a
(windows) PC. Only rarely now. Mostly I use the (discarded) CF cards
for massive backup.

I did have a recent problem - I had forgotten my usual cf card so
bought a 56MB CF in france for a small price, and although other
equipment saw it as perfect, the psion thought it was corrupt in some
areas. I do not know if that was an isolated problem or a 20th century
CF standards problem..... :-)
--
alan cocks
Kubuntu user#10391