Re: [Hampshire] dbmail

Author: Samuel Penn
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] dbmail

On Wed, September 5, 2007 10:08, David Bell wrote:
> James Courtier-Dutton wrote:
>> I like the idea of using a database for my email storage.
>
> I rather like the idea because when coupled with an "ISP-like" virtual
> e-mail solution and MySQL one could utilise MySQL replicate. In this
> manner all the e-mail would be replicated from the primary host to a
> backup host, and then if there was a failure on the main host it would
> be quite easy to swap.

A replicated SAN would also give you this with maildirs.
MySQL would be cheaper, but if your data is really that vital,
then you're probably going to be looking at lots of HA hardware
anyway.

Cheaper solutions involve RAID or replicated file systems
(there's several for Linux I believe, though I've never used
them).

I'm not saying there aren't advantages to using a db, but I'd
want to look at what migration paths there were back to standard
mail storage mechanisms before going down this route.

--
Be seeing you,            Web: www.glendale.org.uk
Sam.                    GTalk: sam@???