Re: [Hampshire] KQEMU bridge for multiple VM's performance p…

Top Page
Author: Hugo Mills
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] KQEMU bridge for multiple VM's performance problem

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x58371100.hantslug.org.uk.28824': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Fri Sep 7 20:42:42 2007 BST
gpg: using DSA key 20ACB3BE515C238D
On Fri, Sep 07, 2007 at 08:39:07PM +0100, Damian Brasher wrote:
> Jonathan Hudson wrote:
> > You still need the documented qemu network setup. tunctl just make taps
> > work at the kernel level. It doesn't matter if you're using kqemu or
> > not.
> >
> > My (non-bridged) sudoed qemu script looks like:
> >
> > chmod a+rw /dev/net/tun
> > tunctl -t $1 -u jrh
> > ifconfig $1 10.0.0.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 up
> > iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o eth0 -j MASQUERADE
> > sysctl -w net.ipv4.ip_forward=1
> >

> > without tunctl the tap device is unresponsive.
>
> I'm not sure this will help me, the tunctl command is enabling user mode
> operation which in this case is not as relevant. The tun and bridge
> modules are loaded in the kernel I'm using - unless I have missed
> something.

And, more to the point in this case, the VM software is runing as
root.

Hugo.

   --- In the future, terrorists won't be carrying their ID cards. ---
                   They'll be carrying yours. -- Henry
                         Porter,  Suspect Nation