Re: [Hampshire] Buying MAC's for organisation wide VT

Author: Damian Brasher
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Buying MAC's for organisation wide VT

Andy Smith wrote:

> A bridge can divide a network into multiple collision domains if it
> acts similarly to a switch in that it learns which MAC addresses are
> available on which ports. A dumb bridge would be more like a hub,
> repeating traffic out of every port, and that would obviously not
> divide collision domains.
>
> Linux software bridges are smart enough to learn what is on which
> port, so I expect VMWare ones would be also (if it doesn't use Linux
> bridges internally anyway).

I'm using KQEMU in this instance and the MAC addresses are indeed learned;

#~]brctl showmacs br0

and the mac is visible from with my VLAN #~]nmap virtual_box1.domain.dom

All okay for now as I have a script that scans the complete network range
in the VLAN using nmap I cannot find a duplicate.

Thanks
Damian
--
Damian Brasher