Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Product recommendation

Author: Sean Gibbins
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Product recommendation
Rob Malpass wrote:
> Hi all
>
> A few weeks back (I think on this list) I heard about a product which
> I was interested in - but a recent hd crash bla bla bla you know the rest.
>
> What I want is a flexible storage device for the network. Somewhere
> I can keep multimedia, backup stuff to and swap pics of my daughter
> with the wife's laptop etc etc.
>
> I already have a Bufallo Linkstation that works "ok" (insists on being
> plugged into the router direct instead of any port on a hub, slightly
> delayed response times on the interface) but what I want is something
> like a shell into which I can plug 1-4 hard disks (as I buy them). I
> realise I could do this with FreeNAS and an old PC - but I want to
> save on physical space as well as use SATA such that the drives can be
> 250Gb (ish) each.
>
> I'm sure someone pointed out something on ebuyer that did just this -
> but I can't find it.

Doesn't quite fit the bill but I have just been reading up on the Thecus
N2100. It'll take two drives internally, will run Debian if required,
goes a fair bit quicker than a Slug, has upgradeable memory and 3 USB
ports (so accepts additional drives in caddies presumably):

http://www.cyrius.com/debian/iop/n2100/

The downside is that it is quite expensive compared to a Slug - £230
without disks as opposed to £55.

If speed is not your captain then the Slug will do pretty much the same:

http://www.cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/

The only thing I would say about the Thecus is that it is a bit pricey -
I would be tempted to knock up a mini-itx box and hook up additional USB
drives.

Sean