Re: [Hampshire] Ububtu ATI Graphics grief...

Top Page
Author: Adam Trickett
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Ububtu ATI Graphics grief...

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x57955100.hantslug.org.uk.24537': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Sun Sep 16 00:41:01 2007 BST
gpg: using DSA key 019AD0D8166C4BF0
On Saturday 15 Sep 2007, Hugo Mills wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 15, 2007 at 07:14:43PM +0100, Dr Adam J Trickett wrote:
> > We installed Ubuntu 6.06 LTS Server on a box and X refused to start,
> > complaining that there was no ATI available. The box had been previously
> > running Ubuntu with X running okay.
> >
> > We have just dist-upgraded to edgy to see if that helps detect and
> > configure the graphics properly. Any X.org debugging hints?
>
>    A dist-upgrade won't change your config unless you ask it really
> nicely with a piece of 2x4.

> > X11 refused to start with ATI, VESA and VGA graphics...
>
>    That would indicate that the problem isn't to do with the graphics
> card driver.

I installed some more stuff, and some extra xorg bits went in. I had assumed
the xserver-xorg and gdm would have pulled in everything you need, but
evidently I was wrong! Anyhow my friends box is now running Edgy and he can
play with moodle and try the Linux desktop properly.

--
Adam Trickett
Overton, HANTS, UK

Do not assume the other fellow has intelligence to match yours.
He may have more.
    -- Terry Thomas