Re: [Hampshire] Happy Happy Joy Joy

Author: Samuel Penn
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Happy Happy Joy Joy
On Sunday 23 September 2007 09:52:35 Graham wrote:
[...snip stuff about Java and C++...]
> The lack of an object lifecycle and the lack of constness are just two
> of the things that continue to frustrate me with Java.

What do you mean by these? I think I know about you mean, but
don't see how they're lacking in Java. Unless you mean you don't
like garbage collectors. The final keyword gives you constants.

> Until 1.5, there
> were also no templates or enums.

Never really missed enums until I started using Java's new enums,
which are really nice. Being able to attach code to enums is really
useful, and somethig I was shocked recently to find C# doesn't allow.

> However, Javas huge set of API's OOTB and the quick development of web
> services are I believe what sells it.

This is the biggest advantage of Java, and also of C#. C# probably
wins on the quick development side since a lot of the stuff to do
the same in Java isn't 'standard'.

--
Be seeing you,                         http://www.glendale.org.uk
Sam.                        Mail/IM (Jabber): sam@???