Re: [Hampshire] Boot disk/liveCD for Windows recovery?

Author: Sean Gibbins
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Boot disk/liveCD for Windows recovery?
Nick Chalk wrote:
> Andy Random wrote:
>
>>> So if i have a corrupt/virus infested M$
>>> Windows machine ... what do people suggest?
>>>

> Vic <lug@???> wrote:
>
>> http://dban.sourceforge.net/
>>

> I have a modification to DBAN that starts the wipe
> immediately on boot. Avoids those pesky second
> thoughts...

Arf!

Okay, joking aside there are a quite a few Windows boot discs on offer
here[1], and IIRC there are a few HOWTOS that will tell you how to
modify them so that (in theory) you can run something like AVG with the
latest def's on there. To be honest I have never had more than moderate
success with this sort of approach and would probably fall back to
Knoppix to transfer the data files to a USB drive and then a thorough
scan of the drive.

That said it's not something I have ever had to do and can't verify
either the effectiveness or safety of either approach.

>From the point of view of the rebuild I can offer up that installing

from behind a firewall, installing all of the MS patches plus an
anti-virus solution and malware removal tools before anything else and
then continuing to update said tools and patches will keep you
virus/malware free, as long as you use a bit of common sense. Or at
least it works for me here.

Sean

[1] http://www.bootdisk.com/