Re: [Hampshire] Boot disk/liveCD for Windows recovery?

Author: Paul Tansom
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Boot disk/liveCD for Windows recovery?
** Alan Pope <alan@???> [2007-09-24 11:56]:
> On Mon, 2007-09-24 at 11:05 +0100, Simon Capstick wrote:
> > 3. Install the Norton software.
>
> *shudder*
>
> I have found Norton to be the absolute worst, most bloated, system
> breaking crap ever.
>
> YMMV.

** end quote [Alan Pope]

I think IT support companies like it in the same way that they like
Microsoft. It is such a big name that nobody is going to challenge you
when you install it and it doesn't work as it should. Since it generally
doesn't work as it should there is a good on going revenue stream from
repeatedly fixing it.

I sometimes think that if Linux broke more often then it would get a
more favourable viewing from some of the support organisations out
there. As it is it is more likely to make them have to work harder to
win more customers as they can't make the same income from their
existing customer base. That and the fact that they are predominantly
point and click 'experts' - although I till remember seeing a local
company offering a special deal on their support services which resulted
in an hourly rate of £75, with the same charge for on site support as
telephone support. When you looked at their jobs page they were looking
for new IT support people with the clear statement 'no previous
experience required'!!

Anyhoo, back to trying to shake Nildram off their grip on my bank
account. At this rate they're going to be heading up there with Vodafone
in the 'well nigh impossible to get rid of them' stakes :(

Registered in England | Company No: 4905028 | Registered Office: