[Hampshire] rsync usage

Author: john lewis
To: HantsLUG
Subject: [Hampshire] rsync usage
I have genealogy data on my server (landing) which I want to duplicate
on my local system (and eventually to a remote system)

I used rsync with following command as the local user:

rsync -avz landing:/var/lib/geneweb/ /var/lib/geneweb

I get the following messages:

receiving file list ... done
rsync: failed to set times on "/var/lib/geneweb/.": Operation not
permitted (1)
./
rsync: failed to set times on "/var/lib/geneweb/.": Operation not
permitted (1)

sent 32 bytes received 6324 bytes 12712.00 bytes/sec
total size is 35886561 speedup is 5646.09
rsync error: some files could not be transferred (code 23) at
main.c(1385) [generator=2.6.9]

This is the first attempt at syncing the directories on landing and
local boxes.

should I have run rsync as root or have I missed some part of the
incantation.

--
John Lewis
Debian (Sid) with the GeneWeb genealogy package